Thursday, February 25, 2016

Weird City/State Laws


Law without force is impotent; force without law is blind." Blaise Pascal To me this quote is very powerful, and after watching "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" it really helped to cement the meaning of this quote for me. But when I read this quote I couldn't help but think of those weird laws that cities and states have that are just completely off the wall and are not enforced. Such as; Arcadia, Alabamas law which states that a peacock has the right of way when crossing the street, or New Yorks laws which states that on Sundays you are not allowed to walk around with a ice cream cone in your back pocket, or Louisannas law which outlawed gargling in public places.Whenever I come across these weird laws, it baffles my mind that all of these laws were passed through congress or through other forms of legislation and that at one point in time these laws were enforced. But it goes to show that a law which is not being enforced is completely unnecessary.

http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/louisiana

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree, the movie was a great contrast that helped represent the quotes. It illustrated some of the chaos that occurs when there is no force. It also showed how society was lost and did not hold knowledge over their rights. I also like your point about weird laws, they were enforced, exist, but now have no purpose. They seem absurd and I also wonder how they were passed because they truly are unnecessary.

Unknown said...

I agree. We have certain laws for a reason and most of which protects our government and the individual. However, there are ore important laws that our government should be creating and enforcing. Instead, states create completely weird laws that don't benefit or protect anyone.