Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Fight is on for Free Speech... Again


I'm a fan of anything with the word "free" in front of it; free backrubs, free tire rotations, free coffee... Heck, I can't even count how many times I've picked up something completely unnecessary from the side of the road just because, hey, it's free! I'm also a big fan of social networking applications, especially the free ones. So when I read how skype, the insanely popular free Internet face to face network was experiencing discrimination from a huge number of mobile phone providers, needless to say I was pretty miffed. While mobile phone companies are opposing this technology as a matter of simple economics, what they really need to do is integrate their technology and incorporate the novel idea of video chat into their own networks. Otherwise, people will turn back to the old standby: Searchin' for the free stuff!

2 comments:

Danielle Gaylord-Jones said...

I am totally with you on that. Instead of just shutting it out cause they are afraid it will take away from their profits and possibly take customers away, they should try and see how this would work with their own plans. Heck, who knows maybe they might even be able to draw in more customers with someone elses free idea. People now days are looking for the most cost effective ways for their goods. I know for myself if I can get it for free I am going for it. But at the same time I do not mind paying for something that could really help or make my life easier.

Lauren said...

I absolutely love free things as well... it is actually part of the reason why I go to Costco with my parents whenever they make trips there.. free samples! I think that more basic things should be free so that people can get a feel for what they are like. Customers are always more apt to try out things that do not cost them as much in the long run because they feel that they do not have as much to loose.