Tuesday, February 21, 2012

overdraft fees levied by banks

Although I agree banks have a right to charge overdraft fees on a check that has a lack of funds to settle or when you use a debit card without the necessary funds to cover the charge ,but I do not agree to some of their questionable practices.  I have had two different experiences with banks over the years where one helped me out while the other one tried to pull a "fast one'.  My first experience is with a bank that is no longer in existence, but treated me as a valued customer when I made an error in my checking ledger.  I had debited my account in error and ended up owing a hundred dollars in over draft fees - which I could little afford.  The bank manager spent several minutes helping me figure out my original math error and waived all over draft fees.  The second incident  involved a deposit being posted after a check  was cleared even though I had deposited the check two or three days before the check was written.  This was done on more than one occasion and so I decided to leave this bank.  Sometimes I feel the banks are "laughing all the way to bank" instead of serving their customers and being upfront and honest in the beginning of the relationship.

LInkhttp://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/22/business/bank-overdraft-fees-to-be-scrutinized-by-consumer-bureau.html?_r=1&ref=businesshttp://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/22/business/bank-overdraft-fees-to-be-scrutinized-by-consumer-bureau.html?_r=1&ref=business

No comments: