Wednesday, May 9, 2012

As I write this final blog I want to say I had a great time and worked with a good group of people.  I really enjoyed Professor Ellerman's class and can honestly say I have never experienced a college class like this one.  So as I reflect on what I took away from this learning experience and am glad I took this educational ride.

I will do my best on reflecting what this class taught me using the four definitions the Greek's used to define knowledge.

1) Episteme:  I love what this means because I love both science and the law and really enjoyed studying the United States Constitution - which more of us should really read.  I like the discussions regarding a states rights vs. the federal government and how important this separation of powers is to all of us.  Reading the New York Times and discussing current stories that effect us all was a big plus to me.  How many of us, outside a class like this,  really debate the issues of today in any great depth.

2) Techne:  This area was much more out of my knowledge base and was quite difficult at first.  I have never written on a blog or facebook for that matter, but I did learn something knew.  I really appreciated the help from other younger and more technological savy group members, and thank them all for their patience and advise in this area.  Although I struggled with it I feel it is a necessary evil to make this class work.

3) Phronesis:  When it comes to emotional and social skills this is an area I feel comfortable with and really enjoyed watching the emotional life in class.  Some of the stories went on too long and should have been shortened, but overall I liked it.  We as people and a society need to learn better ways to communicate in both our personal lives and professional ones.  Most of us have a story involving a difficult working relationship with a fellow co-worker or boss and would really benefit from some sound advise in how to resolve our differences - with out all the drama!

4) Metis:  I guess the cunning and savvy this class represented was in our Nation Game and how we all had to compete against each other for resources and points.  This part of the class was definitely the funnest part of all for me.  Writing the laws for our nation of Arethusa was a challenge, but informative as well.  My only complaint is that I felt we had to write too many of them.  At times these laws became quite redundant and maybe this is part of the problem in the U.S. today.  Laws are an important part of a civil society when they improve our lives, but a liability when they restrict our freedoms and choices as citizens.

I leave this class wanting to learn more about the laws of our society and how I as a citizen can improve not just my life, but the lives of my fellow citizens.  I think you did pretty good Professor Ellerman.

No comments: