Thursday, March 14, 2013

The in-class nation simulation: let's play! (how, with whom, against whom ...?)

The in-class nation simulation started and ... I wish I could understand the meaning of it better.:-) We are playing - that's ok. But is it supposed to be a totally imaginary world? Some of our posts are serious enough to think we are creating something we want to operate, some are not. What is the purpose of it? Are we just dreaming of a better world (Utopia) or we are supposed to deal with the events/people/structures, not every good politician is able to? The best thing we are practicing now is to make our group work - this is important, no doubt. But I just wish we could discuss in class more of what everybody is doing on his/her own. Maybe, I am just a big fan of a classic academic education?:-)
 


2 comments:

Andrew Harrison said...

I would have to agree with you, our objective ins't very clear with this whole project. However I feel that it might be part of the simulation to not be 100% clear on everything. Each week we are given another piece of the puzzle and we have to make it fit with everything we have built so far. I like that in a way, it teaches us to go with the flow and make the best with the information we are given.

marebear said...

That being said, I wish we were learning how these things we're doing in our groups pertain to law. I rarely hear it mentioned, except for our discussions at the beginning of class. I know it's "Law and Society" class, but, I've been reading the book, and only the Constitution has been touched on...while little else from the book has been mentioned. Why make us pay for an expensive book we aren't going to use? I sure hope at the end of all this we learn about law...that's why I'm in the class. :-/